Print Tips« Back to Ideas Collection
More Print Tips
- • Maximum Impact: Is it Best to Send a Postcard or a Letter?
- • Drive Rapid Response to Your Direct Mail: 10 Pro Tips
- • The Usefulness and Utility of Print Marketing
- • Boost Sales with Brochures
- • 5 Opacity Tips You Should Know
- • The Window to Marketing
- • Profitable Postcard Marketing: Finding the Right Frequency
- • 3 Fundamentals for Nailing Your Direct Mail Marketing
- • Picking the Perfect Paper
Connect With the Right People: Use the Right List
You have the perfect idea, the perfect execution, and the perfect printing. Now it’s time to send out your direct mail marketing campaign.
What makes the difference is the list of recipients.
There are several different types of lists that your business can use to get the results needed. Consider the following.
Finding Your Perfect Mailing List Option
A House List reflects the database of an organization.
It includes current customers, former customers, as well as prospects. Each business or organization builds this list to fit its own marketing criteria, and it requires constant updating to keep it relevant.
This list comprises of people with identifiable product interest and a proven willingness to buy, subscribe, join, contribute, inquire, or otherwise respond to specific offers.
These types of lists are popular due to the ability to pick people who have similar interests and where certain behaviors are apparent. The philosophy is that since these individuals have responded to other similar offers, they will probably respond positively to yours.
A Buyer List will include people who have purchased something because of an infomercial, a direct mail offer, a catalog, a print ad, or a website.
This is a popular list which contains the names of individuals who attended a conference, trade show or other event that is similar to yours.
These are valuable lists because those people tend to spend a lot of money on things that matter to them. They are inquisitive and want to learn more.
Subscription Lists capture the names of people who have subscribed to newsletters and publications. These lists are helpful if you offer more information on what their interests are.
These lists contain names of people who have donated to a cause. So, if your business or organization requires donors, this list would be helpful.
And the Lists Go On!
There are “Credit Card Holder Lists,” “Merged Database Lists,” “Compiled Lists” and more.
The important message is that there are lists to help you make the kind of impact you want. The better your list of recipients, the more successful your direct mail campaign will be!
by by Bob Stone and Ron Jacobs
Direct marketing has grown beyond its roots in traditional mail order to embrace a host of new technologies, customer relationship-building techniques, and performance measures. Today, businesses and nonprofits of all kinds use direct marketing, which now garners 25% of the U.S. marketer's budget, surpassing newspapers and broadcast TV.
Hailed as the “bible” of direct marketing for over 30 years, Successful Direct Marketing Methods has been completely updated and expanded with all the latest tools and techniques needed for success in today's digital, multi-channel marketplace. Written by world-renowned direct marketing experts Bob Stone and Ron Jacobs, the Eighth Edition of Successful Direct Marketing Methods contains major revisions to chapters on the creative process, fully covering the development of direct mail advertising, catalogs, and print advertising. The Eighth Edition also explores such new topics as:
- The expanding objectives of direct marketing in the digital age
- Techniques for optimizing customer acquisition, up-selling and cross-selling, reducing defections, extending loyalty, and improving retention
- CRM applications, data mining, call center, campaign management, and sales force automation
- Customer experience management--connecting customers and brands at every touch point
- Brand building with direct marketing tools and techniques
- The growth of direct marketing in Europe, Asia, and Latin America
- Methods of international marketing--both direct and telemarketing
Successful Direct Marketing Methods offers professionals a comprehensive roadmap for direct marketing success across today's multiple marketing channels.